Downtown Development Authority Meeting April 27, 2021

MEMBERS: Mr. Brian Barnard, Chair; Mr. Mike Ready, Vice-Chair; Mr. Jonathan Eady, Ms. Danielle Miller, and Ms. Laura McCanless. Mr. Ray Wilson was absent.

STAFF: Matthew Pepper, City Manager and DDA Secretary/Treasurer.

GUESTS: No guests were in attendance.

OPENING: At 7:04 PM, Mr. Barnard called the meeting to order.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Upon motion of Mr. Ready, seconded by Mr. Eady, the minutes for the meeting held on March 23, 2021 were approved. The vote was 5 – 0.

REPORT ON CITY COUNCIL AND DDA DISCUSSION: Mr. Ready and Ms. McCanless updated the DDA on the City Council’s recent discussions regarding the Authority’s proposal to make minor capital improvements to the city-owned greenspace. During the discussion, they reported that the Council did not express any concerns about the proposed layout of the fencing, seating, and signage. However, the Council had questions regarding the proposed fencing’s style and cost. In addition, some Councilmembers expressed concern about installing the fence to block the curb cuts on Emory Street. 

The DDA will request that the Mayor and City Council approve the DDA’s proposal and grant them site control either through a lease or license to make the proposed improvements at the May 3rd Regular Session Council Meeting. In addition, the DDA will request the opportunity to discuss with the Mayor and City Council the existing concept plans for the area near 810 Whatcoat Street. Mr. Pepper will contact Mayor Eady about including the DDA’s proposal and discussion of the concept plan on the agenda. In Prior to the meeting, Mr. Pepper will inform the DDA members if the Mayor approves their request. Mr. Barnard, Mr. Ready, and Mr. Eady will attend the May 3rd City Council meeting.

THE CITY GREENSPACE: Mr. Barnard will revise the DDA’s proposal to include a section of fence to enclose the proposed parking area. The DDA noted that this section of fence could be moveable. In addition, the DDA noted that the proposed parking area would be of sufficient size for both vendors and visitors to use. The DDA further noted that the location of the proposed parking area does not contemplate the official use of the post office parking lot.

MEMBERSHIP: The DDA discussed possible candidates for the vacancy.

OTHER BUSINESS: The DDA did not discuss any items related to other business.  

ADJOURNMENT: Mr. Barnard adjourned the meeting at 7:59 PM

Submitted by:

Matthew Pepper, Secretary/Treasurer